From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 18:32:32 -0600
There was an article in the Star Tribune on this today, and I'll make
a few comments on what Chris posted....

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Lerch,Chris wrote:
> The vote is in, and the following have been named to the NCAA 50th
>  Anniversary team. A list of all the nominees was posted earlier in the
>  season. The criteria was performance in the NCAA championships *not*
>  overall performance. The team is:
>
> The team was nominated and selected by current Division I head coaches,
>  head coaches of teams that have participated in the tournament, and
>  former members of the NCAA hockey committee.

It also noted that all players that were named to the team had to have
played in an NCAA Championship game.

Gopher coach Doug Woog said several factors could have influenced the
voting. Woog said he based his decisions on each player's statistics
how many times his team participated in the final four and whether he
set a tournament record or was named most valuable player. Other voters
he said, could have used other criteria.

The ballot included descriptions of the accomplishments of each
nominee, which might have swayed some voters. And voters likely
gravitated toward players from their eras or areas.  Woog acknowledged
that he voted for John Mayasich because of his overall success, rather
than for his performance in the NCAA tournament.

> The 50th Anniversary team will be honored in between the second and
>  third periods of the 1997 championship game in Milwaukee.

It mentions that the all-time team will be introduced during the
second intermission of the Championship game in Milwaukee. Guess that
means there'll be no gathering in-between for that break!

It sounds like there were a few different interpretations of how to
choose the players each voter wanted on the team. Too bad it wasn't
more specific or that the voters didn't follow the guidelines.

-Carol
GO Gophers!!!  **John Mayasich** All-Time NCAA Team Forward