From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 11:18:54 -0500
I have been reading the various posts re: coach of the year over the last
couple of days and am wondering how the name of Dick Umile can be omitted.
Folks, UNH was 12-18-4 overall last year, 8-12-4 for a sixth place finish
in Hockey East.  So far this year they are 24-8 overall, currently ranked
third in the PWR and 17-5 and better than even money to finish first in HE.
Why can't the man get any respect?

I'm sure most will say that he had all these horses coming back - Mowers,
Boguniecki, Nickulas et al.  But, this was the same group which he had last
year that finished so poorly.  UNH is regularly skating 5 freshmen, 3
sophomores and only 3 seniors.  Some how the team has turned it around.
Could it perhaps have something to do with the coaching staff? Or does he
just throw the puck on the ice and just let them chase it?

The Coach of the Year Award is to reward season long achievement, is it
not?  To compare what Ron Anderson, Paul Pooley (both of whom have sub-500
records) and Shawn (I know the rulebook) Walsh have done in half a year to
what Umile has done the whole year is ludicrous.  The man is, hands down,
Coach of the Year and he deserves it.

Greg Ambrose
GO UNH BLUE!!