From:
Craig Lisko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 08:29:32 -0400
Craig Lisko/HCS/CSC
01/29/97 08:29 AM

Recruiting has always been a large issue in Canada. Having been through the
process I know how difficult it can be for the player.

Like the message that John Edwards posted, you have to make your decision
by the time you are 16. Do I go the Major Junior route (now) or do I go the
NC$$ route (2 years) and hope it works out?

My opinion is that is depends solely on each individual. I feel that if a
player at the age of 16 has physically, and somewhat mentally matured, the
Major Junior route may be the one to pursue. Some teams will offer players
"tuition" payments when they are ready to enter university or college in
Canada. And there is a huge difference between University and College in
Canada.

In my situation, I grew 3 inches and put on 20 pounds between 16 and 18,
and I did have the offers to go to Major Junior, but I hoped that college
would work out, and thankfully it did. But not every scenario works out.

I feel that 16 year old players need to look at the number of players that
actually move on to play pro. ( And I mean NHL, IHL, and AHL, not the other
so-called pro leagues). For example I played with over 100 players at
Ferris, and 2 have played any time in the NHL. Dave Karpa (Ana) and John
Gruden (Bos). That ratio is about 2%.  Seems to me you'd better have
something to fall back on.

The lure of a scholarship to a US school is great in Canada. Unfortunately
the coverage of college hockey in Canada is very limited (satellite dish).
Thus these kids think that if they play in one of these Major Junior towns
where they are the stars, why would I want to go to the States and no one
would know how I was doing?  I think we all know that 16 year-olds want to
be the star of the show.

It comes down to priorities. Sure some of the kids will play in the NHL.
But for those that don't and then quit playing what's next.

Here is a person example. I played goal in Bantam (14-15 yrs) with a friend
of mine who went the Major Junior route and I went the Div I route. Here's
what happened. His name is Sean Basilio, and played for the London Knights.

Sean played for London in 1989-1992.
I played for Ferris from 1989-1992.

Sean played in the "minor pro league" (ECHL) from 1992-1994.
I played at Ferris from 1992-1994. (Redshirt year).

Sean had to go back and complete high school ( He was 24 years old) and
then went to University in Ontario, and still is at University with two
years to go.
I quit playing in 1994 and left Ferris with a BS and a MS, and have been
successfully employed for over two years.

What I am trying to show are the vast differences in the choices that a 16
year old must make. I am not saying that my choice was better or worse, but
each individual must make that choice.

What I feel would be the biggest asset for college hockey to do would be to
sponsor seminars all across Canada telling these young players what college
hockey has to offer. Most of them don't know. Heck I have kids in the rinks
around here (Detroit) asking me what can they expect. They should sponsor a
seminar to "show the goods" and I  think then that college hockey would
have no problems recruiting. The young players are making uninformed
decisions.

Just my view.

Craig Lisko
1990-1994 (Playing years)