From:
Charles Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 23:01:12 -0600
Well, UND is not playing this weekend, and finals are now about ready to
start, so instead of studying, I thought I would make my infamous WCHA
predication (To quote Monty Python, this information, "...is worth half a
penny on the black market").

First, this is how I see the WCHA ending up:
1. UM
2. UND
3. CC
4. SCSU
5. DU
6. UMD
-tied with UW
8. UAA
9. Northern Mich
10. Mich Tech
So, why the order that I chose?

UM: Have to like the gophers for several reasons, one they still have not
played a string of games up to their potential (which they will).
Also, their goaltending will become more and more of a factor in their favor
as the season comes to a close.  Look for UM to put on an impressive run at the
start of next semester.  The series against UND will probably give them
their first loss in 1997.  Also, since UM has played 4 fewer games than
UND (at this moment) the large lead by UND is very misleading.

UND:  Not enough experience or goaltending to put the Sioux over the
top.  If UND is somehow able to pull it off, it will be because: Kvalevog
plays like he did against CC or UND wins a slew of games by scores of
7-5, 8-4, 6-3 etc.  So far, the offense of UND has put up some very
impressive number, but will it be enough???  I doubt it.

CC:  Look for the tigers to take 2 or 3 points in most of their remaing
series.  Goaltending appears to be the big problem, although as is the
case with UND, if it solidifes they have a definate shot at the title.
Call it a gut instinct, or call me stupid, I just don't see CC winning the
WCHA.

SCSU:  You have to like the huskies (okay, at least I do).  SCSU has the
goaltending, the offense and the defense to stay in the top five.  Their
friday night game against UND showed that they could finish in the top
three, but judging by their performance the next night, I would say that
this team will be hard pressed to sweep more then twice in 1997.

DU:  The Pioneers continue to be the POSSIBLE darkhorse of the WCHA.  As
of this moment, they are on the verge of sweep UMD which is almost a
necessity if they want home ice in the playoffs.  The goaltending seems
to be improving, and the offense is now starting to come along.
Unofrtunately for DU, with their poor start, they are forcing themselves
to get 3 points almost every weekend.  Can they do it?  I keep saying
yes, but a lot will depend on the offense being distributed more evenly.
I still like DU in the fifth spot (maybe higher).

6-10:
Not too many comments for the bottom of the WCHA.  With possibly two
losses this weekend at DU, UMD is helping to dig a hole for itself.  UW
was one of the teams that I liked back at the start of the season, but
the badgers just don't look like they are going to make it into the top five.

---well, in three months I will either be a happy person or removing a
shoestore from my mouth.  Oh, for those curious, this was my prediction
back over the summer for the season:
1.UM
2.CC
3.DU
4.UW
5.SCSU
6.UMD
7.UND
8.NMU
9.MTU
10.UAA
Glad to see UND has proven me wrong so far!
                                                        charles
-
http://www.aero.und.edu/~cbell/hockey.htm
from UND's new webmaster :-)
-
P.S.  Just wanted to wish everyone a happy holiday and a good break (for
those getting a break).  Also, thanks to everyone who I have corresponded
with this year from hockey-l.