Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1991 07:22:41 PST
You see, Mr. Kolehmainen of Michigan Tech, you are lucky to have a newspaper
that rates you guys.  We in the ECAC have only our own conceit to determine who
has the best band.

Of course living near Albany had something  ;) to do with the band getting on
television- but there's ALSO the fact that our managers worked with the
management of the Knickerbocker Arena.  No matter whose side you are on, you
have to agree that it makes sense to _seize opportunities_ that are there for
you.

Also, i never heard anything about the team changing it's name, and certainly
not to "Big Red," as that would infringe on the rights of the Wrigley's people.
Our band (Christened "America's Pep Band" years ago when that silly SI article
was written) has also had red and white jerseys for as long as I've been
involved, so don't deal me this garbage about imitation.  The only reason for
it is there are too darn many red teams in the ECAC.

Finally, I never specifically said that Rensselaer has the best pep band in the
country.  What I did say, something to the effect of "from a public image
standpoint, these other guys will have to take a back seat to RPI," was
actually _supported_ by every person who tried to pooh-pooh the claim.  Lines
like "yeah, but I bet SI never saw Clarkson" and that Andre Agassi stuff are
exactly my point.  Exposure exposure exposure.  In other words, "Who cares even
if we aren't the best musicians, we were on TV, nah nah nah."

Ross Bracco RPI `91 -America's Pep Band Tuba