Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 1991 13:34:50 -0500
 I listened to both games on the radio and really did expect the Gophers to
 have a much harder time up in Anchorage. Freshman standout Darby Hendrickson,
 had a five-point weekend with three goals and two assists, including the game
 winner in the 3-2 overtime win on Saturday night.

 The Gophers have not lost to an independent team since Alaska-Anchorage beat
 them 4-3 in overtime in February 1990.  Jeff Stolp's shutout was the first
 against Alaska-Anchorage since North Dakota beat the Seawqolves 5-0 in 1985.

 I also expected the "imported" referee to have more impact on the game, but I
 guess the airlines' losing his equipment had him rattled. :-)  Here's the scoop
  on WHY Alaska-Anchorage is "importing" referees for some of their series:
 "Primarily because of complaints by Maine coach Shawn Walsh, referees from
 major conferences will work games in Alaska when conference teams travel north.
  Walsh's team was second-ranked when it lost two games in Anchorage in the
 1989-1990 season." (quoted from the Star Tribune 11/24/91 article)

 Saturday night saw Freshman goaltender Jeff Callinan in goal and notching his
 first win!  Doug Woog was understandibly very happy with the series' out-
 come and said: "When you go on the road, a split is normally good,"  The
 Gophers' sweep of Alaska-Anchorage gave Minnesota (8-4) its first back-to-
 back sweeps since last January. Woog also said: "We have to challenge ourselves
  to be better than that."

 The Gophers were happy to leave Sullivan Arena where the Seawolves were 16-3
 last season, with two victories.  The Gophers return to Mariucci Arena this
 weekend, for the next 11 out of 13 games at home.

 Sean Fabian, didn't play on Saturday night, due to a mild shoulder separation.
 He is questionable for the series against the Sioux this weekend.  Freshman
 John O'Connell played for the Defense on Saturday night and Larry Olimb was
 also moved back to the blue line.

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!