From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 1991 00:54:43 EST
Forgive the shameless plug.

Next Friday, 11/29, Alaska-Anchorage plays at Merrimack at 7 pm Eastern,
and I got word this week that I'll be filling in for one-half of the
Merrimack radio team.  Dan Roche, who fills in for Dick Lutsk on WRKO's
SportsCall (680 AM in Boston) at times, will be doing just that next
Friday and I'll be covering for Dan.  They said they wanted someone who
knew the game; I guess they couldn't find anyone and were stuck with me. :-)

The reason I tell you this is two-fold.  First, it is very possible that
one of the announcers will land a bigger and better job very soon, and I
may jump in to finish the season.  I would be interested to hear any
critiques of the broadcast from people who happen to tune in.  I've done
dozens of in-between periods segments in the past, but this will be only
my 2nd time doing the full game.  It might be tough trying to handle my
regular duties while also doing the game, but I'll give it a shot.  I
promise to give HOCKEY-L a plug.

For people in Alaska, I know that KBYR has been known to pick up our
broadcasts when Merrimack hosts either Alaska team, rather than KBYR
sending a radio team out here, so chances are good you will get to hear
the broadcast in Alaska as well.  Also, if UAA's SID will be coming out here,
we would like to try to interview him in-between periods, so if this
word can be passed on I would really appreciate it.  (Reason #2.)  We're
looking forward to seeing the currently top-rated Independent team.

Again, game time is 7 pm Eastern, which I believe is 3 pm Alaska time.
Northeastern Mass. folks can tune in to WCCM 800 AM.  This is a local
commercial station as Merrimack itself does not have a station.  Looking
forward to hearing your comments and as always if I can get my modem to
dial in, I will send out news on the game next Friday night or Saturday.

Any words from other list folks who announce games would be interesting,
I only know of one other person involved in this.  Kap (who sent out the
summary of Lowell's win at Northeastern) is doing some Northeastern games
this year, but *I* think that is only so he can get into the Beanpot free
again.  I can't pick up his broadcasts since WRBB (NU station) transmits
almost on the same frequency as WBCN 104.1 FM which is one of the
strongest stations in Boston (figure that one out), but I'm sure he'd love
to hear from anyone who does tune in.  Just don't give him too much of a
swelled head.  BTW both of us do this strictly for fun because we love
the game, neither of us has any career aspirations...yet. :-)
---
Mike Machnik        [log in to unmask]       [log in to unmask]