From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Steve
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 10:40:00 PST
I differentiate between good coaches (total program), good bench coaches and
program builders.
Personally, I think Ron Mason is No. 1 in all three, and that's based on
knowing the man 25 years, not just covering MSU hockey for 10.
I thought this thread was about program builders, which is why I've been so
pro-Mason. No one in the game can match his program-building record: three
programs, and one league. Imagine the CCHA without Ron Mason. It isn't
possible.
Jack Parker and Jeff Sauer are great coaches (their record says so), but
they are not program builders.
Parker took over for Jack Kelley.
Sauer took over for Bob Johnson.
Parker belongs to BU as Berenson belongs to Michigan.
I don't know that either Parker or Berenson would be as successful elsewhere
mainly because l don't feel they'd want to be elsewhere.
I can't imagine either ever recruiting for another school.
Steve Klein
Steve Moerland wrote:
I find it very hard to understand why Steve and several other people
have left Jack Parker off their lists.  Whether you like him or not,
he is certainly one of the best college coaches.
To show that I am not biased, :-)  I also can not understand how
Steve and several others have left Jeff Sauer off their lists.  He
also has won over 500 games and 2 NCAA Championships, along with four
WCHA Tournament Championships.
Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]