From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 18:18:34 -0400
James Blashill writes:

>As I was reading the threads on greatest games, most emotional games,
>etc. it occurred to me that perhaps a category of greatest comebacks would
>be appropriate.  For example, in the mid-1980's, Lake Superior State
>overcame a six goal deficit and defeated the University of Illinois at
>Chicago Circle in overtime.  The Laker Coach, Frank Anazalone, began
>pulling the goaltender during the SECOND period.  The Lakers would
>score, he would put the goalie back and than pull him a few minutes later.
(snip)
>Anyway, it was really exciting.  Any other comeback stories?

It has been discussed here before, but nobody on Hockey-L has ever reported
a greater comeback than that turned in by Vermont against Princeton
on Feb. 10, 1990 at Gutterson Fieldhouse in Burlington. The Tigers took a
6-1 lead into the second intermission as Mike "Formerly of the
Quebec Nordiques, now of Wall St." McKee set up three goals - two by
the immortal Mark Khozozian and one by future NHLer Andre Faust.
Princeton made it 7-1 at 1:04 of the third on a goal by Kevin
Sullivan, pride of South Windsor, Ct. (until they realized that
younger brother Brian was better).

Vermont answered with eight straight goals, including an empty-netter
to defeat what was a pretty strong Princeton team. No, John LeClair
(a junior at the time) was not in the lineup. Goals were scored by
Leif Selstad at 1:18 (although my scoresheet credits Mike Doers;
this was apparently changed), Jim Larkin (3:00), Jim Fernholz (6:45),
Chip Mason (11:20 - his only career goal), Fernholz (13:27), Brendan
Creagh (14:10), Scott Jagod (16:58) and Mike McLaughlin (19:48 - empty
net). Princeton coach Jim Higgins started with Ron High in net, pulled
him once for Mark Salsbury, pulled Salsbury for High, then pulled
High for Salsbury one more time before finally pulling Salsbury for
the sixth attacker. Vermont was 1-for-3 on the power play, scoring
its only man-advantage goal in the third period on the only penalty
called in that stanza. Princeton was 3-for-4 on the power play.

The Cats finished the season 9-20-2, the Tigers 12-14-1. Princeton
won three of its final four regular season games after the loss
at Vermont, only to fall at home to Yale in the first-ever ECAC
preliminary playoff round. Princeton also lost at home to Vermont
earlier that year, 8-6, in a wild game that saw the Cats lead
1-0, 3-2, 4-3 and 8-3. Princeton scored three goals in the final
eight minutes to close the gap but could not do what Vermont
would later do to them.

Geoff Howell
Drop the Puck Magazine