From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 1996 20:26:42 EST
Regarding Arthur's comment about the US team being so talent rich, I'm not sure
I agree.  I don't know much about the guys on the Junior A's who were left off
the team by Parker, but watching who was on the team I wasn't overly impressed.
The Swedish team was bigger, better puck handlers and seemed to have better
ice sense.  I hven't seen the Canadians, but I would assume the talent
differential would be even more emphasized in a head to head.

I think there are only a few guys on the US team who are bona fide NHL material:
Berard, who was huge, and really showed why he went #1, Ben Clymer, who if he
matures looks like he'll be a steady defensive type, Marty Reasoner, who has
great individual skills and maybe Berg from Minnesota.  Boucher looked good in
goal yesterday, but I'm not a good judge of goaltending.  Contrast the
Swedes, who I think had 14 players on their team already drafted by the NHL.
The US seems to be playing better as the tourney progresses, but I think they
are light years behind the Swedes and Candians in talent, and probably the
Czechs as well.  I don't know if the Russians have anyone on their team, but
I doubt the US squad could handle them as well.

BTW, wasn't Jeff Jackson the coach of the last US junior team?  Has there ever
been a coach who wasn't from the colleges?
Brian Morris                     RPI Engineers--1996, It's a New Year