From:
lynn burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
lynn burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 10:53:26 -0500
This was in my electronic mailbox when I returned home today from Paul
Allan, the SID at Mankato State. I've written him back asking 2 questions:

     1 - Is there a timetable for moving up?
     2 - Have there been any discussions with conferences?

>MANKATO STATE UNIVERSITY ANNOUNCES DECISION ON
>DIVISION ONE HOCKEY
>        Mankato State University President Richard R. Rush announced today
>his decision to recommend that the University take the steps
>necessary to move the men's ice hockey program to a Division I level.
>         President Rush will now bring the proposal to go Division I before
>the MnSCU Board of Trustees on Wednesday, Dec. 20, for approval.
>        "After due consideration and analysis of University concerns and all
>other information available to me as provided by our campus
>community and the Administrative Team, I have made the decision
>that Mankato State University will take the appropriate steps to
>move to Division I level for our men's ice hockey program," said
>President Rush.
>        In his remarks, Dr. Rush said that the issues identified by the State
>University Board in Fall of 1992 have been addressed and reconciled.
>He also said that gender equity issues have been worked out with the
>Office of Civil Rights, he has received campus consultation on the
>proposal, and the necessary funding is in place to support the
>program without additional state resources.
>        Furthermore, President Rush will establish an Athletic Oversight
>Committee for a review and assessment process.
>        During his news conference at Mankato State, President Rush
>extended his thanks to Starr Kirklin and Kim and Kent Schwickert
>for their efforts, and to the communities of southern Minnesota
>for their support and work on the program. "This is a community/
>university partnership which I believe will benefit all parties
>involved," Dr. Rush added.

+                     Lynn Burke - Newport News, Va.                        +
+ ``When the seagull follows the trawler, it is because it expects sardines +
+      to be thrown into the sea'' -- Eric Cantona                          +