From:
Scott Shriver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Shriver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 23:33:35 -0500
Yes, indeed, it is the Redskins.

While the name has been a political and cultural hot potato in the last
decade, Miami enjoys a very close and affable relationship with the Miami
Tribe of Oklahoma with whom they signed a treaty many years ago to treat the
name and the heritage with honor and respect "as long as the winds shall
blow."  We are proud to be associated with the Tribe and enjoy what they have
shared with us in Oxford.

It was the decision of Miami's President Risser that all existing sports teams
could decide for themselves what nickname they would prefer, and any new teams
would adopt a more politically correct moniker.  To date, none of the 19 men's
and women's intercollegiate teams have opted to change from the name Redskins;
 I believe, however, that the three new women's teams now in the formative
stages (including Miami's newest varsity team, the Precision Skating Team) are
avoiding any nickname in favor of simply "Miami."

--R. Scott