From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 1995 15:43:04 -0600
Mike Machnik wrote:

>Merrimack falls to a dismal 0-3-1 in HE, 1-3-1 overall.
{huge snip}
>On the other hand, things continue to get more depressing for Merrimack.
{snip}
>Not only is a home ice spot in jeopardy, after it seemed a viable goal
>prior to the season, but seeing the way PC and UMass have played, it is
>quite conceivable that Merrimack could finish 9th and out of the playoffs.
>It is unquestionably time to hit the panic button.

Well, I would discourage anyone from hitting the panic button this early in
the season!  4 games is too soon to be judging how your team will turn out
AND how the teams they've struggled against so far will turn out.

I remember a team (we'll call them Team M) two years back that started out
0-5-1, including two losses to a team (Team C) that had finished 9th the
previous year.  Similar noises were heard about Team M at that time.
Turned out Team C won the conference, Team M finished second by one point,
and Team M won the conference playoffs and made it to the NC$$ Phinal
Phour.

I realize the situation may be different, (For instance, it could be argued
that Minnesota's -- I wasn't really fooling anyone with the "Team M" stuff,
was I? -- early weakness that year could be attributed to the loss of two
underclassmen to the Olympic team.) but my point is that November is WAY
too early to be hitting the panic button (or, for that matter, getting too
smug).  There's still a lot of time for freshmen to grow into Div I hockey,
and for other players to adapt to new roles.

Take it easy, Mike!  :-)

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!
Nastier, Bigger, Faster in '95-'96!