From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1991 08:12:01 -0800
In the Amazing But True Dept., BC's David Franzosa was somehow named HE Player
of the Week.  Franzosa had a goal and an assist in BC's 2-2 tie with MSU and
two goals in BC's 9-3 loss at Vermont; both goals came late in the game when
BC was down 6-1 and the game was over.

Meanwhile, Merrimack's Agostino Casale again goes unnoticed for his brilliant
start.  Casale had six points (3 goals, 3 assists) in Merrimack's 9-6 win at
Union and a goal in the 4-3 loss at RPI.  He now has 6-6--12 in three games.

What is most unfortunate is that while the CCHA, for example, named Miami's
Ouimet their PotW thus honoring someone from a less-noticed school, HE again
went with the player from the big-name school.  Last season both Casale and
Dan Gravelle were slighted - in one case, in favor of Providence's Rob
Gaudreau, who had two PPG's in a win over Lowell (one was an empty-netter),
despite Gravelle having something like eight points on the weekend.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm only upset because a Merrimack player got the
shaft, but actually I'm trying to stick up for all the small schools that
get slighted in favor of the big-name schools.  And, when players earn
recognition, especially a senior like Casale who has gone unnoticed for the
last two years, I think they should get it.

It would be fitting for Casale to come up with a big night tonight against
Franzosa and the Eagles.

BTW, since I know a lot of people will be attending the game, there will be
a pre-game ceremony and gift presented to BC coach Len Ceglarski, who will
be making his final regular season trip to Merrimack's Volpe Complex.  Game
time is 7 pm.

- mike