From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1991 09:46:52 -0800
Larry writes:
>> Also, North Adams (Ma.) State beat Concordia 7-6 in regulation time.
>
>When I arrived at the start of the third period, the score was 6-2 in favor of
>Concordia.  But then things got nasty.  I didn't actually keep track, but over
>90 minutes of penalties were called in the third period alone, including at
>least 5 game DQ's against Concordia!!  The only thing I can think of is they
>must have thought a 6-2 lead impossible to lose (or they just didn't care),
>because they got down right dirty.  Fortunately, there were two refs and one
>linesman, because several of the cheap shots would have been missed if the only
>ref in the game was down ice.  Were they this bad in the games they have played
>in New England?

Not this year, but they have been known to be cheap in the past.  I think a
large part of it was due to the fact that, as you say, they blew two
commanding leads this weekend, and also they are a team made up of players
who are considerably older than players on the US teams they are facing.  Some
of these players for the Canadian schools have major junior and even pro
experience, and some are as old as 27 or 28.  When Concordia was losing at
Merrimack in an exhibition a few weeks ago, I walked by their locker room
after the second period and someone was screaming about Merrimack being
"younger than us!  They're younger than us!" as if that was a reason why they
should beat Merrimack.  They definitely weren't too happy then.  I wouldn't
be surprised if they lost it while blowing a big lead to a DivIII team.

BTW, anyone from RIT know if Fred Torrisi played net for North Adams in
the Concordia game?  I know him & was wondering if he saw any action.

This isn't worth its own message since I don't have much info, but Maine
lost to Team USA Sunday night, 5-2.  All 5 USA scorers were from Boston
schools (McEachern, Heinze 2, two others).  Team USA plays at Harvard Friday
night, but I think if I get out to a game that night it will be Clarkson
at Northeastern so I can see the top team in the ECAC against the Hounds.

- mike