From:
Troy J Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy J Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 13:35:22 -0400
As appears in Foster's Daily Democrat Monaday July 10,1995

BLUES TAB 'CAT RECRUIT
By Barry Scanlon
Democrat Staff Writer

Dover-A University of New Hampshire recruit was selected saturday during
the National Hockey League draft in Edmonton.
     Derek Bekar, who will be a freshman in the fall, was picked in the
eight round by the St.Louis Blues as the 205th overalll selection.
     "I was kind of surprised and happy and shocked and excited.
Everything I guess," Bekat said Sunday night from his home in Port
Coquitlam, British Columbia. "I didn't really expect it to happen."
     The 6-3 185-pound center is expected to be one of UNH's top
freshman, along with fellow British Columbia Junior Hockey League skater
Jason Krog. Bekar starred this past winter for the Powell River Paper
Kings of the BCJHL.
    Being drafted won't change Bekar's plans of attending UNH.
    "I can't wait to get out there," he said.
     Bekar scored 44 goals and 88 points in 62 games (playoffs included)
for the Paper Kings, despite being hampered by a back injury early in the
season.  Bekar was on of the stars of the BCJHL playoffs.
     St.Louis drafted nine players, Bekar being the eight.

Message posted by Troy Taylor
GO BLUE!!