From:
BRUCE SPENCER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BRUCE SPENCER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 1995 10:01:38 -0400
Jayson and Mike:
>For example, I know of team members that have gotten work study positions
>in athletic departments, or just a lot of grants and aid.  Who's to
>really say how the financial aid comes, but it does.

>>Also, it is very possible that some of the players received academic
>>scholarships unrelated to their hockey-playing, making an athletic
>>scholarship unnecessary or less necessary than for some of the other
>>players.

>Which is exactly what I am talking about above.  I am sure academic
>scholarships were offered, and hence coming to RPI was a little easier.

It is my understanding (and I have been known to have been wrong before, so
correct me if it has happened again) that only need-based financial aid is
excluded from the calculation of the 18 full sholarship limit.  If a SA
receives a merit-based scholarship it would count toward the 18.

I remember when the rules were changed two(?) years ago that all aid counted
toward the maximum number of scholarships.  This seemed ridiculous because a
student with need based aid couldn't play if it would put the team over the
maximum scholarship limit unless he/she gave up their aid.  This, I thought,
was since changed so that need based aid was excluded.

If I'm not too far off base (or should I say over the blue line) wouldn't
academic scholarships count toward the 18?

BTW, I have read Paulette's Hockey-L FAQ and would recommend everyone read it.
I thought that being a two-year veteran of the list I would know everything by
now.  Wrong!  There are things that appear on the list so frequently that you
take them for granted as acceptable.  Not always true.  Make a copy, read it,
and save it for future reference.

Bruce Spencer
UNH '71