From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 1995 00:10:48 -0400
Jack Berenzweig writes:
>If everyone is going to speculate on who the new Bruin's coach will be.  What
>about Jack Parker? While both Shawn Walsh and Jack Parker are eminently
>qualified, Jack Parker has the Boston connection.

Parker has been one of the names I've heard mentioned most often ever
since the coaching change was announced.  On WEEI in Boston, talk show
host Eddie Andelman went so far as to claim that Parker WOULD be the
next Bruins coach - which prompted a large number of calls from people
who thought Eddie was crazy.  Not because the Bruins would not
consider Parker - we already know he nearly got the job in the past -
but because in many ways, it doesn't seem to be a move that would make
sense for Parker, especially when you consider the way Boston has gone
through coaches in recent years.

Whoever they hire has to figure that there's a good chance he won't be
there long, looking at the way upper management has been reluctant to
provide the coaches with a team that can contend the way the fans want
it to.  A major problem with a college coach like Parker taking over
the reins of an NHL team is that he won't be able to pick and choose
his personnel like he does at BU.  But he'll still get fired if the
team doesn't play up to expectations, regardless of whether those
expectations are realistic or not.

Parker has a good situation at BU.  I would be surprised if he left
that for the turmoil and pressure with Sinden and the Bruins.