From:
Dick Tuthill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 1995 09:56:23 EDT
        I'm a firm believer in the philosphy that if you're not moving
forward towards a goal,  then by definition you are moving backwards.
And this game is in danger of moving backwards.

        What to do?   Well,  the first thing should be to establish an
organization analogous to the CFA to represent the sport in the NCAA.
That would solve a big festering problem.   (I think Coach Walsh and others
have already proposed this.)

        The second thing to do would be for that organization to raise money
by imposing a small tax on each ticket sold.   Take that money and invest it
in additional TV coverage.   Come *on* folks!!   Let's wake up.   This sport
was made for the sun belt and everywhere that football values prevail.
It's gritty,  it's hard hitting,  half the time the players are on their butts,
and the other half they're flying at a million miles an hour.   It's a constant
struggle  --  getting knocked down and getting up again  --   it's a microcosim
of our daily lives!   It's  ...  marketable!!   Make some bucks,  and our
greatest barrier to success,  Title IX,  will somehow be surmounted.

        This sport has either got to expand or it's going to shrink.

        -- Dick Tuthill