From:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 22:42:32 -0400
Bill Fenwick writes:
>No one's mentioned this yet, but I'm a little surprised to see Bruce
>Delventhal's name among the five interviewees for the Ohio State >job.  Can
anyone at Union offer some insights into why he might be >considering another
position?
LOcal rumours are that he was approached...either directectly or by an
intermediary.  Reasons for considering the move:
1. Scholarships
2. Academic restrictions
3. 3000 seats vs. 15000
4. to listen to everyone on the list, the league is a step up
5. More money
6. Never hurts to listen

>I know that he had to jump through a lot of hoops to bring the Union
>program up to Division I a few years ago (the Dutchmen were >restricted to
only 25 regular-season games in their first two >seasons, as they had been
while they were at the Div. III level).
there wasn't really any "hoop jumping" when Union went D1, everyone close new
we were going from day one, the administration wanted to proceed cautiously
for several reasons, not to upset the academic community, other
sports(remember in DIII Union is a perenial top 10 in football and usually
ranked in soccer, lacrosse, swimming and several other sports), the reason
for the 25 game was waiting to get the D1 waiver from the NCAA. Also remember
Union still follows DIII guidlines for financial aid for athletes(much
stricter than how other DI schools do it).

> Is there friction between Delventhal and the administration over how
>"big-time" the hockey program will be allowed to get?  Just curious,
>because I thought he was rather well-respected at Union.
I don't think  big time hockey is the issue(see above) it just isn't going to
happen...at least year in and year out.  I know Bruce has gotton a lot of
support from alumni in recent days to the administration...who also want to
keep him and do respect him(with no friction that I'm aware of)