From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 09:04:32 EDT
Alex writes:

>                         But the things that I have heard is that
>Holzinger actually did withdraw from the courses and will be starting
>them over this summer.  Wouldn't the NCAA be keeping an eye on cases like
>this where athletes leave early and plan on returning to finish school?
>I would think that the NCAA would be watching to see what kind of
>treatment professors and administrators gave to cases like Holzingers.

I doubt it.  When somebody like Holzinger leaves early and signs a pro
contract, he forfeits his remaining eligibility.  Since he is no longer a
college athlete, the NC$$ wouldn't really care what happened to him.
Maybe they'll keep an eye on him for statistical purposes (so they can
keep track of the number of student-athletes who actually graduate or
something).  But if Holzinger or anyone else in his situation were to
receive preferential treatment (or were to be treated grossly unfairly),
from the NC$$ standpoint, who cares?  He's no longer a college athlete
and thus not under their jurisdiction.
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"I still remember sitting in a darkened theater with my arm around 17-year-
 old Mary Jo Rasmussen, trying to get to first base.  I can even remember
 the name of the film:  'The Lion King'."
-- Steve Martin, presenting an award at the Oscars