From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:26:39 CST
Headline: Former U stars boost the Moose
Publish Date: 04/05/1995
Scott Bradley
<W0I>For The Daily

The success of the Gophers hockey program has helped jump-start the
state's newest professional hockey team.

The Minnesota Moose is an expansion team in the International Hockey
League and the first pro hockey franchise in the state since the
North Stars of the NHL moved to Dallas in 1993.

Former Gophers have helped the Moose emerge as a respectable club as
players and as administrators in the front office.

``This is a good brand of hockey,'' said Larry Olimb, the Gophers
scoring leader in 1991 and 1992. Olimb now plays center and defense
for the Moose. ``I think the IHL can succeed in Minnesota. This is a
good league and people who watch are entertained.''

After a slow start, the Moose have compiled the IHL's fourth-best
record since December and improved their overall record above .500.

Moose center and former Gopher Dave Snuggerud is a big reason for the
team's recent improvement. Snuggerud is the team's third-leading
scorer with 23 goals this season.

Snuggerud, who led the Gophers in scoring in 1989, played four
seasons in the NHL with Buffalo, San Jose and Philadelphia before
coming to the Moose.

``This is the minor leagues,'' he said. ``What I'm here for is not to
get back into the majors. I just want to help some of the other
players get to the NHL level.''

While the IHL does not have the NHL's glamour, it does give players
the opportunity to play the sport they love and still make a living.
The average salary for a Moose player is around $35,000.

What's more important for the former Gophers is the chance to play
before the home fans.

``It's always nice being able to play in your home state,'' Snuggerud
said. ``The fans are great up here. They have a real knowledge of the
game. They respect you in a good game and aren't afraid to boo at a
bad game.''

 Moose winger John Brill said, ``Outside of the NHL, this is where I
want to play.''

Brill, a recent acquisition by the Moose, played for the Gophers from
1989 to 1993.

Returning to Minnesota to play pro hockey has been a good experience
for most of the former Gophers, except Moose goalie Frank
Pietrangelo.

Pietrangelo, who played with the Gophers from 1982 to 1986, injured a
finger early in the season and later tore cartilage in his knee.

``It's been a disappointing season,'' he said after his first
practice since the knee injury. ``As you get older, you want to play
as much as you can.''

Pietrangelo played in the NHL with the Pittsburgh Penguins and
Hartford Whalers and is currently under contract with the New York
Islanders.

Many of the IHL teams have NHL affiliates, a system similar to
baseball's minor leagues. However, the Moose are one of the few
independent teams in the league.

During the season, players with NHL contracts, like Pietrangelo, may
be called up to play in the NHL.

Although not all of the former Gophers played together at Minnesota,
Snuggerud said it's nice to see all of these Gophers make it to this
level.

``Brill, myself and Snuggerud were a line (during a recent game),''
said Olimb. ``It's nice to have all these Minnesotans playing on a
team. This is a great bunch of guys.''

Glen Sonmor, who coached the Gophers from 1966 to 1971, adds to the
Moose's inaugural-season success as director of player development.

``(Sonmor) is a key man in our organization,'' Moose head coach Frank
Serratore said. ``I learn something from him every day. He's been a
mentor for me and has helped me on day-to-day decisions.''

Olimb credits Sonmor and Gophers assistant coach Bill Butters for
giving him a shot with the Moose.

``(Butters and Sonmor) knew I was in town and told me I should try
out with the Moose,'' Olimb said. ``Sonmor gave me a chance to play
when everyone thought I was done.''

The IHL regular season ends this week, but the Moose are in position
to make the playoffs.

``It's nice (that the playoffs are coming),'' Snuggerud said. ``The
weather is starting to get nice now. That's what it's all about --
warm weather and hockey in the springtime.''

Moose notes: Because of event conflicts at the St. Paul Civic Center,
Moose home playoff games will be played at Target Center in
Minneapolis.

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!