From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 17:13:25 EST
Kenneth Baker writes:

>Another new cheer also started this season!  When the announcer would
>acknowledge 1 minute left to play in each period at all games, the
>students would all shout 'THANK YOU!!' hoping to hear a 'YOU'RE
>WELCOME!!' from Glen Williams, the famed PA announcer at Yost.

Maybe Michigan stole this one from Cornell, as payback for the Cornell fans
stealing "See-ya!" from the Wolverines a few years ago :-)  Anyway, Cornell
does a slightly more elaborate version of the same thing:  an appropriately
timed, "HOW MUCH TIME IS LEFT?" followed by PA announcer Arthur Mintz's one-
minute announcement, followed by "THANK YOU!"  For no particular reason, I
find this incredibly annoying.

Might as well pass along my nomination for Best Cheer Never Used.  This one
comes from 1986, when Cornell won the ECACs and headed west to take on
Denver in the first round of the NC$$ tournament.  A bunch of us came up
with, "You can't spell DUMB without D-U!" which seemed like a monstrously
clever line to put down the Denver-ites with... that is, until we remembered
that at least half of the Cornell team were brothers in the Delta Upsilon
fraternity, which is also known as D-U.
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94.5               |  [log in to unmask]
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"One night a week is not a network, it's a marriage."
-- Jim Mullen, _Entertainment Weekly_, on the new television networks