From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 09:51:32 -0500
This is from this morning's Columbus Dispatch

COMMITTEE STARTS POURING OVER HOCKEY COACHING APPLICATIONS

by Bob Baptist

An eight-person committee that will recommend who Ohio State hires as the new
ice hockey coach began reviewing applications for the job yesterday.  Associate
athletic directory Archie Griffin, who heads the committee, estimated he
received about 45 applications.  He said that by next week, he hopes to pare
that to six or eight candidates who would be interviewed.

Griffing said he could not say whether the new coach will be hired by April 12,
the first day recruits can sign a national letter of intent. "It would be
nice," he said, "but I can't realistically say we will have it done by then."

The job opened Feb. 13 when 20-year coach Jerry Welsh resigned after athletic
director Andy Geiger told him his contract would not be renewed after the
season.  Assistant coach John Markell finished the season as interim coach and
has applied for the job.  He said yesterday he has received commitments from
five recruits who told him they will sign with OSU regardless of whether he is
hired.  "I told them very clearly I might not be here," Markell said, "but I
conveyed to them that I think I have as good a chance as anybody to get the
job."

OSU career scoring leader Paul Pooley has been rumored as a strong candidate.
Pooley, a former OSU assistant who recently completed his first season as head
coach at Providence College, declined to discuss his interest in the job when
contacted yesterday.  "I can't say anything," he said, "but if you want to
throw my hat in the ring, you can."  Two other applicants are believed to be
Michigan State assistant coach Tom Newton and former OSU player Larry Marson.

End Article

Well, interesting comment from Paul Pooley.  We'll see what it all means soon I
guess.

--
        *        Dave [log in to unmask]         *
        *                  Cornell '91 OSU Med '95                     *