From:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 06:06:10 GMT
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Jayson Moy writes:
>>Kurt and I discussed this as we watched the play, and we both wondered what
>>was going on.
>>
>>Apparently it goes like this:
>>
>>The first set of coincidental minors forces the 2 minutes.  At the end of 2
>>minutes, the 4x4 must be replaced.  The second set of 2 minute minors
>>are no loss of manpower.  So, there must be a 4x4 for the first set
>>of matching minors, and no replacement for the second set.  Therefore,
>>someone must come out of the box after 2 minutes to make it 5x5.
>
>This still doesn't make sense to me, given the way the rule (4-2-e)
>reads:
>
>"When ONE (emphasis theirs) minor penalty is assessed to ONE player of
>EACH team at the same stoppage of play, these penalties will be served
>without substitution provided there are no other penalties in effect
>and visible on the clock."
>
>Since each player received a double minor - two minors - this section
>doesn't apply and substitution is allowed.

Let's work on this.

First, this didn't make sense to Jayson and I while at the game.  What
Jayson tried to explain (sorry Jay, but I got confused by what you wrote
also) was the answer we came up with to explain what the referees had
done.

Now, the play in question occurred in the first period of the Wisconsin-
Michigan game.  Mike Knuble of Michigan and Jamie Spencer of Wisconsin
both were given double minors for hitting after the whistle.  They
were joined in the box by E.J. Bradley (Wisconsin) and Matt Herr (Michigan).
The time of these penalties was 12:34.

Why did they skate 4x4 for 2 minutes then back to 5x5?

Well, what we came up with was this:

  1.  Both teams have a set of coincidental hatw penalties

  2.  Send each player into the box for a 4x4

  3.  Both teams have another set of coincidental hatw penalties

  4.  Since you already have a 4x4, you must replace the second set of players

  5.  The second set of penalties don't begin until 14:34

  6.  Therefore, the additional players go into the box so that, at 14:34,
      you have 5x5 play, substituting for the second penalties

Once again, this is what we came up with to explain what the referees did.
Also, to reiterate, we were confused as well.  As Mike said, they should
have replaced right away.  The only other interpretation I can see is skating
4x4 for 4 minutes, since one set of coincidental minors is at 12:34, the other
set begins at 14:34, because they must be served consecutively, not
concurrently.  However, I prefer Mike's interpretation, as I believe most
of the conferences favor it also.

If anyone can come up with a better explanation, I'd like to hear it.  I was
really confused, and I wasn't the only one.

Kurt Stutt