From:
John Deetjen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Deetjen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 15:45:02 EST
I would have to say I agree with the predictions, somewhat. I think New
Hampshire will beat Denver, but it won't be easy. I also think RPI will have
a harder time with Minnesota, mainly because of the Gophers' tournament
experience. Denver's one of those teams which hasn't been making the tourney
the last few years, and UNH, even though they haven't been there in a while,
could pose a problem for them. I also think UNH is a little mad from their
Hockey East upset, and would like nothing better than to take out their
frustrations in the first round. Also, take a look at who UNH would face in
the second round. They'd love to have another shot at Maine, and I think
that could be a huge motivator.
RPI could have a time with Minnesota, and I think this game could be a
toss-up. RPI pulled off some great upsets in the ECAC tourney, but it could
be a tougher road for them against tournament-tough Minnesota. Then again,
who knows, right?
Here's my prediction for who's going to win the whole thing. I think Michigan
will take home the prize this year. This is a team which has almost no real
weaknesses. My final four looks like this: Michigan, Maine, BU, and Wisconsin.
The last one is the usual "dark horse" team. Don't ask me why I picked the
Badgers, because I don't even know. I just like them to go to Providence.
Maybe it's because they're hosting the regionals, I don't know. I just like
them. I pick BU to go because they simply are good (and you know as a Maine
fan, I hate to say that). This is virtually the same team who went to the
finals last year, and they should have an easy time making it. They're a good
team up front, and remember, it was essenitially their defense which got them
through Providence in the HE finals, especially since they've been having a
difficult time with the better defensive teams (Maine, Merrimack, etc.).
I pick Maine, because they just seem to have the defense which tournament
teams need to win. Their defense has set up a lot of opportunities for their
offense, which brings me to their main weakness. This team relies on its
defense to win, mainly because they have a hard time scoring at the other end
of the ice. This team has done a lot with little this year, and had to work
like crazy for goals which seemed easy two years ago with the Kariya-
Montgomery-Ingraham line. This year, their leading scorer is a defenseman, so
things certainly have changed in Orono this year.
Lastly, I think Michigan has been doing the job all season long. They won
their regular season conference title, they play well when they need to.
This will be the difference when it comes down to crunch time.
Of course, this is tournament time, so anything can happen, and usually does.
LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!
'
Later everyone!
Deej