From:
Ralph Slate '91 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Slate '91 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 19:28:12 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Steve Rockey - Librarian <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>In principle I agree that Albany would make more sense but I
>wonder about attendance and atmosphere.  The last time I went to
>the ECAC's in Lake Placid a couple of years ago I had a nice time and
>I would go again if I get the chance but it is indeed true that lodging
>was expensive. Last year the ECAC's in Lake Placid drew more fans
>than the HE finals in Boston.  I really did not look at the attendance
>in Lake Placid this year if it was posted but I noticed that the HE
>finals drew about 8500 each night.  I think the ECAC's have been
>playing to a fairly full house (about 10,000) in Lake Placid.  I would
>hope that Albany could draw as many or more than Lake Placid but
>it might not be a full house.

I think a main factor that the ECAC have been drawing so well over
the past few years has been the inclusion of RPI, Clarkson,
and St. Lawrence; Clarkson is about 45mins up the road (I think),
RPI always has a great travelling crowd, and St. Lawrence is
as close as Clarkson. But imagine if the teams were Brown, Harvard,
Cornell, and Princeton. Or any other combination not involving
the local teams. I doubt you'd see the crowds that have been there
for the past 3 years.

Someone else made the best point; the Athletic Directors get
the royal treatment at Placid; they make the decisions. It's
all politics, and Ned Harkness and ORDA is well-known for politics.

Ralph