From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 06:00:55 -0700
On Wed, 22 Mar 1995, John H. Pilarski wrote:

> >I've always heard that the tournament champs were the champs, while the
> >regular season champs got the modifier.  After all, the tournament champs
> >always got the automatic bid, while the regular season champs just started
> >getting one this year.  Any of you types who work for the leagues know what
> >the rule is?  Or is there one?
>

> I don't agree.  If that were true, then why bother with the NCAA
> championships, the same thing applies.
> It becomes a problem when teams don't feel like they have anything to play
> for (like BU and Maine, maybe).  But this is the time of the year when teams
> should be peaking, and these tournaments *do* mean something.  They are a
> prelude to the big dance.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but the convention, I believe
for all conferences in Div. I, is to designate the tournament winner the
league champion, and the regular season winner is just that.  I have
posted my feelings about not letting everyone into the tournaments before
so won't get into them again.  However, we should not post the way we
feel things *should* be as facts, but as opinions.  This is a discussion
group after all :-)

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!!