From:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 08:08:03 -0400
Andy Dursin in an earlier post referred to a quote from PC coach Paul
Pooley that he is not interested in the OSU job.  The quote as it appeared
in the Providence Journal of March 3 was:

"I'm very happy here in Providence.  We've got a lot of people working hard with
the program and we are a planning a lot of changes."

(Hopefully one of those changes are the home whites.  I couldn't help
thinking during the Friar's run through the HE tourney that all those
extraordinary efforts came in their road blacks.)

Ron Correira has also mentioned the negative impact rumors of coaches
leaving can have on a program, especially concerning recruiting.  I couldn't
agree more.  When someone has concrete info let's talk about it.  In the
meanwhile, let's put it to rest and let the Friars get started working on
next year.

Finally, Mike Machnik posted several quotes from Pooley contained in the
PC Media Guide.  There was another which I think bodes well for a *long*
and happy relationship between Paul Pooley and the Friars.

        "As I was driving to Detroit to come here [PC] for my interview,
my wife, Kelly, was reading from the media guide about Providence College
and after reading it, she said to me, 'Paul this is what you are all about.'
I really liked what this school stood for.  The main priority is the
students, to prepare them for the real world and make them better people.
They realize here that athletes are just people and that you can combine
academics and athletics.  The hockey program here has been successful.
When I met the people here they were real positive, they want you to be
successful, to do well and graduate your players.  That's something I
believe in."

I've never heard anyone question Coach Pooley's integrity.  In fact,
the most frequently used word to describe the man is "class."  Let's
hope the PC administration recognizes what they've got and double his
salary and triple his contract right now!

--Bill