From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 1995 12:09:39 -0500
Karen wrote:
>Why is this weekend's game with LSSU and Ferris non-conference?  I assume they
>have already played each other enough times, but can't they find a
>non-conference opponent for their last season games to fill the schedule?

LSSU and Ferris were both scheduled to play Kent on the final weekend of the
season.  When the Flashes dropped hockey, it left a void in most CCHA teams'
schedules that was tough to fill.  Thus, BG and MSU played a non-conference
game in October, BG played OSU five times this year, and LSSU and FSU scheduled
4 meetings.  The first three were spread out around Christmas and LSSU won all
three.

>Also, this is obviously a big weekend for Miami hockey, and I would like to
>know what will happen if #4 and #5 have the same record (like if MU and LSSU
>tie in points)?  How do the tiebreakers work (i.e. head-to-head, common
>opponents, goals for, etc.)?

1.  Head-to-head record
2.  Head-to-head goals
3.  Head-head vs. other CCHA teams in descending order
4.  Coin flip

For example, if LSSU and Miami tie, LSSU wins the tiebreak on head-to-head goals(the Redskins won 2-1 in Miami, the two teams tied 2-2 in Miami, and the Lakers
won 7-1 at the Soo).  Miami wins the tiebreak vs. MSU (2-0 head-to-head so far)
and loses the tiebreak to BG (0-2-1 head-to-head).

>And one last thing, assuming #1-#5 all get past
>first round games, would #5 play at #4 in that one game, loser is out playoff
>on Tuesday?

I don't remember if it's scheduled for Tuesday the 14th or Wednesday the 15th,
but it is played at the site of the second-lowest seed remaining (similar to
the WCHA play-in game, but not at a neutral site).  That's why it's sort of
imperative not to finish fourth or fifth.  You get a tougher first-round
opponent and most likely would have to play an additional game just to get
to the Joe, where you get the distinct pleasure of facing the #1 team in the
semis (Michigan, barring a MMMMMMAAAAAJJJJJOOOOORRRRRR upset).  There isn'tm
much difference between finishing second and third, except the second team has
a little better shot of getting ND instead of UIC or WMU.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University 15-7-3, 20-10-3
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?