From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 19:21:00 -0500
Earlier I wrote:
>The press packet accompanying the announcement of UNH's new Arena (now
>under construction) noted that this would be "the sixth [college rink] in
>the nation to feature an Olympic-sized ice surface of 200 x 100 feet in-
>stead of the standard 200 x 85 feet."

  Let's hope the architects and construction crews do a better job of
actually *building* UNH's new Arena than the marketing folks did when
they "researched" (I use the term loosely :-) and wrote the preceding
statement.  Thanks to everyone on HOCKEY-L who chimed in with new/up-
dated information, it's apparent that there are already 6 Olympic (or
"near" Olympic-) sized rinks in use in DivI college hockey; UNH's (and
the new arenas under construction for Colorado College (Colorado Springs)
and Denver will be the 7th, 8th and 9th (non-DivI-Tourney-eligible UConn
also apparently plays many of its home games on a nearby Olympic-sized
surface).  Perhaps the new hoop/hockey facility on the drawing board at
OSU will become the 10th ....

WCHA
----
Mariucci Arena (Minnesota), Minneapolis      (200 x 100)
National Hockey Center (St Cloud), St Cloud  (200 x 100)
Sullivan Arena (Alaska-Anchorage), Anchorage (200 x 100)
Dane County Coliseum (Wisconsin), Madison    (200 x 97)

HEA
---
Mullins Center (UMass-Amherst), Amherst      (200 x 95)

CCHA
----
Carlson Center (Alaska-Fairbanks), Fairbanks (200 x 100)

ECAC
----
none

Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]> writes to remind me:
>This information, and a lot more, can be found in the HOCKEY-L Team
>Information File, maintained by Jim Teresco (take a bow, Jim!).  You can
>get it by sending this message to [log in to unmask]:  GET HOCKEY-L
>TEAMINFO.  Or, you can look at the HTML version by pointing your web browser
>to http://tardis.union.edu/~terescoj/hockey/teaminfo.html

  Yep .... I'd forgotten about this excellent resource, and I second both
Erik's recommendation to check it out and his kudos to Jim Teresco for
duties far and above the call to assemble/maintain this file.  I should
have looked here first - and I won't forget about it in the future :-)

  Cheers from Maryland - Jim

  Go Blue !!!