From:
Nate Huang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nate Huang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 03:28:12 -0500
The season is not over, but it's pretty apparent that Cornell still
sucks.  After another disastrous weekend at Lynah, it's time for my
(3rd annual) posting about what the real problem with the Cornell
men's hockey program is.

Let's take a few seconds and review how badly the Cornell hockey
program has fallen: (source of some info: TBRW)

1. Since the 1987-88 season, ECAC championships: 0

2. Since the 1987-88 season, regular season record versus arch-rival
   Harvard: 0-13-3.  College hockey's greatest rivalry?  The Lynah
   Faithful would like to think so, but this is truly embarassing.

And more recently:

3. Goals by Cornell's leading goal scorer for the season:
   1992: 11
   1993: 10 (What the hell is going on here?  How can a team's leading
             goal scorer have just 10 goals for the season?)
   1994: 15

4. ECAC record:
   1993: 5-16-1
   1994: 7-10-5
   1995: 5-8-3 thus far

5. Rumors, posted to this mailing list in response to my rant last
   year, about player dissatisfaction with the Coach.

Coach Brian McCutcheon MUST BE HELD RESPONSIBLE for this collapse.  It
is painfully clear that McCutcheon simply can't get the job done.  He
should know what the Cornell hockey tradition is about - he was around
when Cornell went 29-0-0 in winning the NCAA, the glory years.  He has
let this tradition disintegrate to the embarassment that it currently
is.  Enough already, GET OUT NOW!

Once again, I will cite Bob Gaudet of Brown University as an effective
coach.  When I was at Cornell, Brown was always the league doormat, an
easy 10-1 win for the Big Red.  During my time at Brown, I watched
Coach Gaudet slowly but surely build his team into the national power
it is now, while I simultaneously saw Cornell's program fall apart.

Some will say that it's not McCutcheon's fault, he doesn't have the
talent in his players to be successful.  That's ridiculous, it's part
of his job to recruit talent.  Some will say I'm too harsh, give him
another chance.  Why?  Eight years is not long enough?  He's proven
that he can't do the job, it's time to get someone in there who can.

Some say what about the 1991 team (14-5-3 ECAC)?  A great hockey
tradition means dominating the ECAC year after year, always contending
for the national championship.  Cornell did this in the 60's and 70's.
The 1991 team finished 2nd in the ECAC regular season, then lost when
it really mattered.  If you are satisfied with that, so be it.  I
believe the real members of the Lynah Faithful demand a level of
excellence above that.

Some will blame injuries.  Some will blame the refs for giving Cornell
bad calls, game after game, season after season.  Some will blame the
Olympics or the NHL for taking away players.  Save your breath.
Cornell is obviously in the midst of a long-term, sustained decline
from what was once a proud tradition.

MCCUTCHEON MUST GO NOW!

Disgruntledly yours,
Nate Huang