From:
John Kohlstrand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 1995 14:55:50 -0500

>I'm looking for comments and opinions from anyone who was at Munn Arena
>Saturday night and saw the post-game meelee that resulted when Miami tried to
>scrape, or scalp as they call it, the ice.
>        I'd also like to hear any comments from Miami contributors, or anyone
>at all, about the appropriateness of nicknames like Redskins, especially in
>these PC days. I guess when you're a Redskin, you scalp, although if you check
>the history books, you'll discover that the French did it first and the Native
>Americans picked up on the practice.

The appropriateness of the nickname has long been in question by some Miami
students. In my opinion, it is way over the line, and offensive in a way
that other nickanmes that have been replaced are not (Eastern Michigan
switched from the cool ``Hurons'' to generic ``Eagles'' recently, for
example).

My understanding is that ``Redskins'' has hung on this long because
Miami University officials have made every effort to present sports teams
and logos in the most dignified manner. I believe the school consults with
native Americans on this (I'll confess that I am uncertain whether there is/
was a ``Miami'' tribe or not).

And, if Miami hockey players are calling their practice of stealing ice
``scalping,'' that surprises me. I would guess that it is not a practice
condoned by the school. I would also guess that it has gone on this long only
because other sports get far more attention at Miami (the basketball team
is running away with the MAC and, believe it or not, college football fans
meant Miami University when they talked about ``Miami'' during the 1970s).

But, as I said before, I think the practice itself -- of stealing road ice --
is pretty cool.

--
The Chronicle. Elyria, Ohio, USA        "Techno is like Detroit -- a complete
John Kohlstrand, staff writer            mistake." -- Derrick May