From:
John Kohlstrand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 1995 14:43:10 -0500

>While tonight's game did not break Michigan State's losing streak, another
>streak of sorts was broken tonight.  Miami's tradition of scraping up some of
>the ice from a road win and taking it back to Oxford was interrupted by a
>number of Spartans, who did not exactly take kindly to it.  A major brawl
>was averted (don't ask me how) but a 45-to-50 second duel between Tyler
>Harlton of MSU and Dan Carter of Miami will probably find both riding the
>pine for Friday's games against Western Michigan and Alaska-Fairbanks,
>respectively.  While I don't necessarily condone fighting in college hockey,
>this one may have been necessary, and the Redskins may think twice before
>continuing this bush-league tradition, the only blemish on a fine hockey
>program.

I entirely disagree. I think this is a cool tradition. It's certainly far
less goofy than other practices that have become acceptable (octopus on the
ice, anyone?)

I think your sense of things is colored by the fact that Michigan State lost
to a historically-awful school that Spartan faithful may have wanted to
look past (trust me, I feel almost the same way after the Falcons' debacle
in Sault Sainte Marie).

As for ``bush league,'' the Spartans are members of the same league. In
the grand scheme of things, all of college hockey is pretty bush league.
Dumping on Miami for this is  pretty uncool, especially when you can't beat
them on the ice. I'm sure we could find some bush league tradition up at Munn.

It's worth noting that this may be the first time in history that a pair
of Ohio schools have ranked so highly in the CCHA so late in the season.

The polls ought to be very interesting this week.

--
The Chronicle. Elyria, Ohio, USA        "Techno is like Detroit -- a complete
John Kohlstrand, staff writer            mistake." -- Derrick May