From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1991 18:25:17 GMT
Several times I've wondered about this but have never asked.  That is
about to change.

In WCHA history, the playoffs ended with the semifinals ("Second Round")
from 1966-76 (69-71 ended with East & West region champs) and 1978-81.
Why were there no championship games/series held during those years?  Why
was there a championship held in 1977 only?

I also noticed that during those years (1966-81), in every single year,
regardless of the regular season finish, the two teams that won what would
have been the semifinals were extended bids to the NCAAs.  Maybe there
was no need for a championship; the goal was to choose two teams for the
NCAAs (this being prior to when the CCHA was afforded the respect it has
now).  But that still doesn't explain the odd year out, 1977, when Wisconsin
won the WCHA tourney championship - and again the two teams that won the
WCHA semis went to the NCAAs.

- mike, trying to expand his knowledge on a very important subject