From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 1995 11:14:56 -0500
I figured I would jump in with the UNH perspective of the game before all the
BU fans get on.  BU got revenge for Thursday nite's loss to UNH by posting a
convincing 7-3 win against the Wildcats last nite at Walter Brown Arena.  BU
jumped to a quick 2-0 lead with goals by Grier and Joubert at 8:12 and 9:03
of the first period.  At that point, the game seemed to be reminiscent of the
last BU/UNH game at Brown Arena when UNH skated with BU but found themselves
down 3-0.  However,UNH got back into the game with a goal by Mowers off of a
great feed by Royal at 16:55 and then, on a power play, Mowers scored again
with a tip in front off a shot from Flinton.  The 2nd period was all BU as
they seemed to come out with a different forechecking scheme which bottled up
UNH's defensemen in their own zone.  Ken Rausch from Shawn Bates at 2:01
after UNH's defense was caught up ice and then Steve Thorton at 8:32, on the
power play off of good work by Grier in the corner.  The 2nd period was all
BU's but somehow UNH did not give up another.  The third period started off
 well for UNH as Royal scored from 20 feet out in front off of a pass by
Schmidtke at 22 seconds.  The teams then traded chances for the next few
minutes until, as usual at Walter Brown, BU got a break.  Coleman slapped one
from the right point high and off net but it hit Pandolfo in the back,
deflected down and into the net.  After that, BU played well defensively, not
giving UNH many chances, and as is usually the case when one team has to
continually press, turnovers are created, giving the team with the lead more
quality opportunities.  BU capitalized with another goal by Grier at 12:26
and one by Matt Wright with 5 seconds to go.

Overall impressions:  BU plays well at home, not as well on the road.  Grier
is a definite factor because of his size and improving skills which create
space and, thus, opportunities for him and his teammates.  The goal by
Thornton was a clear example of this.  It appears Thornton may have broken
his kneecap and, if so, he is out for the year.  BU will sorely miss him.  As
for UNH, their defense did not play well last nite as they had great
difficulty getting the puck out of the zone, particularly in the 2nd period.
 To many turnovers led to too many times when Heinke was left all alone.  He
made some good saves (30 in all) and the loss was clearly not his
responsibility.  On this last point, let me add my 2 cents worth in response
to comments made by various people when reporting on games.  Games are not
usually won or lost by goalies or referees.  Teams lose games, most often on
defense, and particularly by forwards not getting back.  Over the course of a
game, and the season, the referee's calls even out.  For every time your team
gets jobbed, you will get a makeup call somewhere along the way.  I know
enthusiasm and bias can get in the way of objectivity (I am guilty too) but
if you are sitting down to post the day after a game, a little perspective
and rationality seems appropriate.  And a side note to the BU fan regarding
the ice at Portland . . . it was the same for both teams!!

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72
Go Blue!