From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 1991 18:30:22 EDT
Keith writes:
[Musical Schedules game deleted]
>Now, seriously, can you truthfully tell me that the change from 38 to 34
>games (with only 6 MONTHS notice) was a good idea??

Aw, go on.  At least it makes those Special Assistants In Charge of
Scheduling EARN their pay...

But all seriousness aside, while the shorter schedule itself might not be a
bad idea, the decision to implement it next season was ludicrous.  The
situation that Keith described could easily have been avoided if the NCAA
had given the schools a couple seasons to work the new schedules out.  There
wouldn't have been so much confusion without the pressure to cut games
IMMEDIATELY.

I admit this is 20-20 hindsight, but there is a precedent involving college
basketball.  As I recall, two years ago, the NCAA voted to reduce the number
of regular-season basketball games from 28 to 25, but scheduled the change
to take effect in 1992, giving the schools three seasons to figure things
out.  Of course, the NCAA then went and voted last year to "reduce" the
number of games to *27*.  Just another example of how the NCAA likes to cozy
up to the BIG money-makers (basketball and football) while giving college
hockey the shaft.
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86

"One woman broke up with me because, she told me, I was insecure.  I thought,
 'Great, THIS is gonna help.'"
-- Jeff Stilson