From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 18:21:07 -0500
JackJaguar writes:
>Presently, many incoming college freshman hockey players have already been
>drafted by NHL teams, since the NHL draft age was 18.  Under the new NHL
>settlement, the draft age has been changed to 19, "with 18 year olds having
>the right to elect to be drafted".
>
>[NCAA Rule 12.2.4 deleted]
>
>It therefore appears that an 18 year old hockey player who intends to play
>college hockey will not be able to "elect to be drafted" as an 18 year old,
>but instead will now have to wait another year to be drafted.
>
>I wonder if the NHL and the NHLPA had recognized this when they changed the
>draft age.

Probably not. What comes to my mind is that this will be another difference
for a player to consider when deciding between Major Junior or College hockey.
A Major Junior player will, of course, be able to opt in at 18. I'm not
sure how big a difference this will turn out to be. I don't know whether
a player would rather stay out until 19 and go in the first or second round,
or opt in at 18 and go in the third.

I'm fairly certain that the NHL only had Major Junior in mind when doing this.
As for the rule, I was (selfishly) hoping for a 20-year-old draft, because
that will improve the quality of Major Junior, and hopefully have a ripple
effect through to Junior A, B and C.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards        Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr Senators (17-17-1 36pts) (CJHL)
Carleton U., Law IV