From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 10:22:49 -0700
On Fri, 13 Jan 1995, Jack Berenzweig U.S. wrote:

> Presently, many incoming college freshman hockey players have already been
> drafted by NHL teams, since the NHL draft age was 18.  Under the new NHL
> settlement, the draft age has been changed to 19, "with 18 year olds having
> the right to elect to be drafted".
>
> NCAA Rule 12.2.4 states: "An individual loses amateur status in a particular
> sport when the individual asks to be placed on the draft list or supplemental
> draft list of a professional league in that sport..."  An exception to this
> rule was enacted in 1994 for the NBA basketball draft, but for no other
> sport.
>
> It therefore appears that an 18 year old hockey player who intends to play
> college hockey will not be able to "elect to be drafted" as an 18 year old,
> but instead will now have to wait another year to be drafted.
>
> I wonder if the NHL and the NHLPA had recognized this when they changed the
> draft age.

Probably not, we should realize that college hockey issues are not really
important for the pros.  Given the nature of the "negotiations" $$$$ were
all that was on anyone's mind.  If this is perceived as a problem the
NC$$ can correct it, although I would be in favour of establishing
uniformity by eliminating the exception for basketball which has totally
sold out to their own greed.  I don't know why they just don't issue
paycheques in the big schools.

Arthur Berman  [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!!