From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 07:46:18 CST
Headline: Gophers visit struggling Seawolves
Publish Date: 01/13/1995
Matthew Cross
Staff Reporter

If there was a time for the Gopher hockey team to propel itself back
into the hunt for the Western Collegiate Hockey Association title,
this weekend's series at Alaska-Anchorage is it.

The Seawolves share the conference cellar with Minnesota-Duluth, and
their 5-11 record in the WCHA looks inviting to the Gophers.

Although Minnesota has struggled at the offensive end of the rink,
the Seawolves are the perfect opponent to cure that weakness.

UAA is one of the most scored-upon teams in the WCHA, and by
scoring an average of only 3.00 goals per game, they have the least
potent offense.

``We have some bad habits,'' UAA coach Brush Christiansen said.
``We've had the shots, but our body positioning is bad and we're not
getting the rebounds.''

Christiansen also cited a frail defensive corps as a major reason for
his team's record.

Defense is also a big weakness for the Seawolves' struggling
penalty-killing squad that has managed only a 75.6 percent success
rate.

However, UAA had only one series in the past month, earning a split
against Wisconsin, and the team used some of its break to strengthen
its defense and work on getting more rebounds.

The Seawolves, who were 0-6-1 against Wisconsin before recording
their first-ever win against the Badgers last weekend, sported a
defense that held Wisconsin to five goals on the weekend.

It got a bit physical, however; as UAA had a season-high in penalty
minutes for a series, with 71 on the weekend.

``We like to run the open style,'' Christiansen said. ``We just
followed through on our checks (against Wisconsin), and it got a
little rough. You won't see that type of game this weekend.''

Indeed, the Gophers and Seawolves are both teams that will thrive on
the Olympic-size ice at UAA's Sullivan Arena and the fast-paced style
of play.

Christiansen said the open style promises an exciting series between
the two teams.

``I don't think we've ever had a dull series with (the Gophers),'' he
said. ``But we're going to have to be on our toes against Minnesota.

``The more time you give them, the more they're going to hurt you.
But we're that type of team too. If you give us time, we're going to
sting you.''

However, the Seawolves are the team being stung so far this season,
especially in the goaltending category -- the one area in which the
team expected to do well.

Senior Lee Schill, who was the top-rated returning goalie in the WCHA
from last season, is now rated last in the league with a 4.47 goals
against average and an .870 save percentage.

``You have to have good goaltending in this league,''
Christiansen said. ``Our goaltenders had a good last season, and
you've got to give a lot of praise to Lee (Schill) and Chris
Davis.

``We know we were giving up too many goals, but we're playing a
lot better. We did a good job against Wisconsin, but we know it's
going to be a struggle. We're going upward.''

The Gophers are another team that is looking upward.

Minnesota has rarely fielded its best players this season, because of
injuries and game disqualifications, but with the return of
co-captains Justin McHugh and Scott Bell, the Gophers have a full
roster this weekend.

In other words, they have no excuses.

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!