From:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 1995 13:47:44 -0400
BU 9 at Providence College 2
Jan. 10, 95

- completely unofficial -

Referees: B. Fowkes, Fitzgerald
Linesman: Scleparis

1st Period
----------
BU 1 1:07      Joubert,12 (LaChance)
BU 2 2:58      Wright,2 (Herlofsky, Pierce)
BU 3 5:26      Drury,4 (Bates, Rausch)
*    5:26      Bell replaces Dennis in goal for PC
     7:55      BU Brennan - Holding
     7:55      PC Kramer - Tripping
     8:25      PC Balboni - Hooking
BU 4 8:56      Linna,2 (Thornton, Coleman)   PPG 4x3
     9:58      BU Wood - Hitting after whistle
     9:58      PC Kramer - Hitting after whistle
BU 5 14:27     Pandalfo,5 (LaChance)
     14:57     BU Bates - Boarding

2nd Period
----------
     2:00      PC Mader - Crosscheck
BU 6 11:13     Drury,5 (Kealty)
     11:46     BU Grier - Roughing
     11:46     PC Kramer - Interference
BU 7 12:38     O'Sullivan,17 (Bates) 4x4
     17:00     PC Mader - Charging
     18:25     BU Bench - Too Many Men (Grier served)
     18:28     PC Burke - Hold
     19:06     BU Joubert - Crosscheck

3rd Period
----------
     1:58      BU LaChance - Elbow
     2:13      PC Gould - Interference
BU 8 2:17      Grier,18 (Thornton) 4x4
     3:40      BU Bates - Trip
PC 1 5:08      Gould, 1 (LaVarre)  PPG
     5:54      BU Wright - Hit after whistle
     5:54      BU Pierce - Hit after whistle
     5:54      PC Gill - Hit after whistle
     5:54      PC Brannare - Hit after whistle
     11:39     PC Dillabough 2 min Hold, 2 min Roughing
     11:39     BU Wood 2 min Roughing,10 min Misconduct
BU 9 13:08     Sylvia,4 (O'Sullivan) 4x4?
     13:23     PC Mader - Trip
     13:29     BU Pierce - Elbow
*    14:06     Ferullo replaces Herlofsky in BU goal
     15:32     BU O'Sullivan - Trip
     17:25?    BU Linna - Crosscheck
PC 2 18:11     Sundquist,2 (Balboni) PPG
     19:43     BU LaChance - High Sticking

Shots on Goal
BU 19-19-16=54
PC 10-12-17=39
-- shots/saves are not announced at Schneider arena.
These #s were reported in the Providence Journal but
seem high to me.  The number of saves reported were so
obviously incorrect I have not included them here.

Friends of Friars Hockey Stars of the Game
1. Drury - BU
2. O'Sullivan  - BU
3. Herlofsky - BU

Notes:
This one was obviously put to bed early by BU's
overwhelming advantage in talent, speed and size,
combined with Herlofsky being sharp on those few
occasions when he was tested. PC continued to suffer
from defensive breakdowns but at other times was just
overmatched.

By the time BU was up 3-0, my count of shots on goal
was BU 4, PC 3.  PC's were quality shots, not just dump
ins that happened to go through the crease, but BU made
their goals look easy.

The second period was really wide open and evenly
played for the first 10 minutes.  Jackie Parker is
quoted in the morning paper as saying that he was
especially gratified by his team's play in the second
because it is so easy to get selfish with the big lead
but they play continued to play smart.

Trying to find something positive for PC to take away
from this, I think Pooley can be pleased that the
Friars would not let themselves be intimidated.  I
thought BU was trying to tatoo this one in the Friars'
memory by their physical play, especially late in the
game.  But PC showed pride while they took their
whipping.  Several players who are not usually at all
physical did not back down and actually stepped up
their willingness to use their body despite BU's
superior size.

-- Bill Schneller