From:
"Paul A. Vescio" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul A. Vescio
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 1995 08:17:07 GMT
In Article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
(Mike Machnik) wrote:

>This has to be one of the phoniest assists I have seen.  Fiebelkorn
>wheeled out of the corner and put a shot on that Herlofsky stopped,
>but then BU forward Matt Wright shot the puck into the net while
>seemingly trying to knock it away.  I was left with my mouth wide open
>when I heard the goal announced on tv as Fiebelkorn from Larson.  How
>do you give an assist on a goal that the other team puts into its own
>net?

On this subject, I have noticed that in NCAA play the official scorers will
pull their nails out to give as many assists on any goal that they possibly
can.  The best example I can come up with was in the final of the RPI
invitatational when Kelly Askew took the puck from behind his own netskated
up ice, blew past everyone from Maine and stuffed in an awesome unassisted
goal.  God only knows, but two assists were handed out on this goal.  Does
anyone have a good explanation why it is an unwritten rule to pad everyones
assist stats when the assists are obviously not earned
Paul A. Vescio
Biology Dept.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

!!New York Rangers  Stanley Cup Champions 1994!!