From:
Dave Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 13:18:14 EST

> Bruce Crowder has joined the ranks of several other coaches in
> requesting that 3rd periods at BC be played in 2 10-minute halves,
> with the teams switching ends, to avoid perceived advantages
> (disadvantages?) with the non-symmetric benches at Kelley Rink.  Do
> other teams/rinks/coaches go through this???
>

>> And interestingly enough this took away a UML breakaway as the 10:00
break
>> hit.

When I first heard about this "switch" last year, I didn't think much of
it.  Now, after being there for a couple games, I have to wonder.  What
rule, HE or otherwise, allows a visiting team to make this request?  Could
BC refuse to switch, or in the spirit of fair play, are they (un)willingly
obliging the other team?  Also, if they're going to continue to do this,
why not play until the first whistle after the 10:00 mark (like the 2:00
warning in fball)?  One of the teams could be involved in a key offensive
surge, & having this unusual stoppage of play could prevent a goal from
being scored.  Of course, in a such a situation, the defensive team would
welcome the stoppage!  It just seems as though there are 4 periods with
this planned interruption of every 3rd period. Any BCers out there care to
comment?

Dave Hatfield
ULowell'86              Go River Hawks!!