From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 1994 11:01:27 EST
MTU lost to University of Alaska-Anchorage at Anchorage last night.
This is a very difficult game to comment on: MTU played well but not
well enough to overcome UAA or their goalie, Chris Davis.  MTU did
many things right, yet the game goes as a loss.

MTU  0 1 1 - 2
UAA  1 2 1 - 4

SAVES:
   MTU Caravaggio    7  16   4 - 27
   UAA Davis            9  17  21- 28

Powerplays:
   MTU scored on 1 of 4
   UAA scored on 1 of 2

1st Period:

Scoring:
UAA Williams (Tumisco, Stith) 13:28

Penalties:
       UAA Williams interference 15:53

2nd Period:

Scoring:
UAA Williams (unassisted)  0:25
MTU Stevens (B. Peterson, P. Mikesch) 3:20 ppg
UAA Norcross (Kowal, Stith) 8:52 ppg

Penalties:
      UAA Meek crosschecking 2:53
      MTU Savage slashing 7:44
      UAA Leggat hooking 17:15

3rd Period:

Scoring:
UAA Leggat (Dravinsky, Prevost) 4:00 (approx)
MTU Seale(Roy) 12:02

Penalties:
      UAA Dravinsky interference 5:32
      MTU Kryser holding 7:50
      UAA Stith holding 7:50
      MTU B. Peterson holding 19:33

Commentary:

It is hard to be upbeat about a loss. However, MTU was in this game
from start to finish. At anytime, if the breaks went against UAA,
one felt that MTU would explode. It never happened.

In the first period, Williams, alone in front of the net,   tipped in a
shot taken by Tumisco.

In the second period, Williams and another UAA player got a  2 on 1
when Williams took the puck from Hanchuk at the UAA blue line.
Williams got his second score by going to the 5 hole.
Randy Stevens, who has been injured for the better part of the
season, got his first score and MTU's first score of the night when
Pat Mikesch at the back of the net fed Stevens in front.  Randy was
one of the more effective players last year; so it is good to see him
healthy again.  UAA finished the period with Norcross jamming the
puck in from the side of the net on a powerplay.

While MTU dominated the third period, UAA's Chris Davis stood firm.
Brent Peterson put the puck past Davis but the score was
disallowed because of a man in the crease.  About a minute or so
later, UAA's Leggat redirected a Prevost slap shot to Caravaggio.
Luciano stopped the shot but the puck fell and trickled  over the red
line.    Travis Seale got the sole MTU score half way through the
period.

While disappointed with the loss, I am pleased by our team's desire
to win. The team never gave up.  In addition the team was putting the
puck on net forcing Davis to make some truely outstanding saves. Davis
was forced to work hard to keep a UAA win. While I am not suppose
to comment on refereeing, I was happy that not many penalties were
called. (Buzzy Christensen and Bob Ames were the ref's.) Moreover,
it seemed MTU's players avoided stupid momentum destroying,
self-serving, acts. Thus, I thought that MTU's hockey team played
a good game despite losing.

MTU is now off for 19 days until the GLI in Detroit.  MTU will
meet Michigan in the first game. I don't know how 19 days off
will affect our team. It is an opportunity to heal and to work
on some the skills that need improving. It is also possible to lose
an edge that I see developing and that we will need to move up
into the "real" season.

Walt Olson
MTU