From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 1994 10:33:33 EST
MTU beat University of Alaska-Anchorage at Anchorage for the first
time ever last night, 3-2. All scores  were  by specialty play teams.
(The way college hockey has progressed, we should start considering
5 on 5 specialty play although last night's game was not filled with
penalty filled. Perhaps next year the NCAA rule will be no checking in
both the men's and women's leagues!)

MTU  1 2 0 - 3
UAA  1 1 0 - 2

SAVES:
   MTU Caravaggio    8   5  12 - 25
   UAA Shill           13  11   4 - 28

Powerplays:
   MTU scored on 2 of 3
   UAA scored on 2 of 7

1st Period:

Scoring:
MTU Meyers (Savage, Jensen)  9:34 ppg
UAA Ratakalio (Tumisco, Thronborough) 15:58 ppg

Penalties:
       UAA Meek holding 7:59
       MTU Wright interference 9:11
       MTU Roy elbowing 14:35

2nd Period:

Scoring:
MTU Hanchuk (P. Mikesch)  10:05 shg (2 men down)
MTU K. Peterson (Savage, Dupont) 14:42
UAA Bethard (Tumisco, Ratakalio) 19:21 ppg

Penalties:
      MTU Savage hooking 9:41
      MTU Prokopetz mugging (roughing) 9:41
      UAA Kerr tripping 13:30
      MTU Harris holding 17:36
      UAA Sterling holding 19:50

3rd Period:

Penalties:
      MTU Van Tighem interference 8:43
      MTU Prokopetz roughing 17:29
      UAA White roughing 17:29
      MTU Dupont hooking 18:36

Commentary:

Based on the WZRK radio play by play by Bob Olson and Dave Fisher,  MTU
dominated the UAA. This was MTU's first victory ever on the Alaska ice.
It appears that Anchorage has a fine goalie and  probably one excellent line
but weak elsewhere.  We were like that last year, so I empathize, but I
am still happy with the game outcome.

We are very successful using Andre Savage like Edmonton and Los Angeles
used Wayne Gretzky behind the net on powerplays. During the first period,
Savage fed a wide open Brett Meyers in the slot and the result was posted on
the score board. On a UAA Seawolf man advantage, Ratakalio (I don't know if this
is the right spelling) took a shot that looked more like a centering pass. Luciano
Caravaggio was screened and probably did not see it in time to prevent it from
reaching the wrong side of the net.

MTU has been extremely tough when down 2 men this year.  My guess is that in
18 games this year, we have averaged over 2 minutes a game in 5 on 3 situations.
For most teams, this would have been disasterous; yet I can not recall any team
scoring on MTU in this situation. In the second period, a penalty was called on
Savage for tripping. After the whistle, Prokopetz iced a UAA player. We went
down 2 for a full 2 minutes. 24 seconds into the penalty Pat Mikesch steals the
puck and develops a 2 on 1 in the UAA zone with Hanchuk.  Hanchuk took the
pass and top shelfed Shill for what had to be a shock for the UAA team and fans.
The rest of the penalty expired without undo action.

On another MTU powerplay, Savage again fed various players from behind the
net. After several unsuccessful shots, Savage fed Kyle Peterson who gave us
the winning goal.  UAA capitalized on a powerplay with 39 seconds left in the
2nd period with a scoring floater by Bethard form the point.

The stars, as you might have guessed, were 1- Savage, 2- Hanchuk and 3- Shill.

MTU is now tied for fifth in the WCHA with North Dakota having a record of
6 - 6 - 1 and 8 - 6 - 2 overall.  What is really nice, MTU has been 5 - 1 - 2
on the road. We have faced all of the teams above MTU in the WCHA. As a last
place projected team at the beginning of the season, MTU has done well in
rebuilding with its strong underclass support.  We are not yet a first place
team: we take too many stupid penalties and our skills at passing and puck
handling are still being developed. Yet, each weekend, MTU looks a little better
than it did the previous weekend.

The weekend is not over: we play UAA again tonight (another 2:00 AM bedtime).
MTU now must strive for consistancy if it is to get its first sweep of the year.

Walt Olson
MTU