From:
"Breitner, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Breitner, Mike
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 17:45:00 PST
The current interp. manual doesn't speak to this, though the sounding of the
horn is not an "official" signal, except to end the period.  A quick
consensus of SD USA Hockey officials here agrees with Graeme, using
Rule 502a, if the goalie responded to the horn by relaxing, no goal;
otherwise, yes - it's good.

It was also agreed that the scorekeeper would receive a tongue-lashing from
the Referee.  :-)

Mike Breitner ([log in to unmask])
Northern State University

Note to Wayne S.- There are some college teams out here that play by the
USA Hockey rule set.  (obligatory college hockey content)
Scott Anderson raised the question:

Scorekeeper uncertain after a penalty, so sounds the horn to
attract the ref's attention.  Succeeded (!) since he sounded the
horn whilst the puck was on its way towards (and eventually
into) the net from a shot after a pass from the face-off.
Goal, or no goal?  (With rule references to USA Hockey.)

------------------------
Graeme wrote:

So far, the horn was improperly sounded, the period had not ended,
the puck had crossed into the goal.  So there is no _rule_ preventing
the awarding of a goal.

I haven't found a rule or manual reference to the instruction we get
at clinics to blow the whistle on hearing the horn at the end of a
period, however, that is what I've heard at each clinic I've attended,
and what most refs I've done games with tend to do.  So one could
argue that play must stop on hearing a whistle, but not on hearing
the horn alone.

If I'd been reffing that game (be thankful I wasn't !!!!), it would
have depended on whether I thought the goalie had had time to relax on
hearing the buzzer (thus admitting the puck), or whether the goalie
was still trying fully to prevent the goal.  (Also on whether it was
late in the game with the goal being important or not!)  If I had any
feeling that the goalie had eased up because of the horn I'd disallow
the goal, otherwise it would stand.

I don't have the current interpretations manual with me, so if anyone
else has it (and it says anything helpful), or if anyone has other
opinions ..........

Graeme.