From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 17:47:41 EST
(Scott asks for a ruling on a goal scored immediately after the
timekeeper blows the horn, but presumably before or without an on-ice
official signaling stoppage of play) ...

   Since this is the "COLLEGE Hockey Discussion List", I'll ignore the
   "USA Hockey" rule directive.  I've been a timekeeper for a zillion
   youth and high school games ...  and you'd never see me tooting my
   horn during play :-)

For NCAA play, the rules are not at all explicit about stoppages of the
clock (to me), but are clear for this event.  Rule 6-15 c.(7):

   "c. A goal shall not be allowed in any of the folowing cases:

       (7) If a goal is made after the referee, assistant referee or
           timekeeper has signaled play to stop;"

To continue on "stoppages of the clock" ...

(1) Why does the clock stop when play stops?

(2) If the clock is to stop on a referee's whistle, why isn't there a
    whistle when a goal is scored?

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]

LISTSERV Gem: Signing off the mailing list.  (SIGNOFF)
  If you are leaving for vacation and wish to stop receiving HOCKEY-L
mail for that time, or are signing off of HOCKEY-L for the off-season,
send this command to the e-mail address "[log in to unmask]":
        SIGNOFF HOCKEY-L
For more information, send the command HELP to [log in to unmask]