From:
Dave Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 13:18:20 EST
On 11/28, John Deetjen wrote about the attendance at the GW Freeze-Out.

I think a point worth making, which I haven't seen anyone make as of yet,
is a thing called ADVERTISING.  It's one thing to show a preview about an
upcoming game on a local TV station (which we see locally on NESN, WABU,
etc.), but this is intended mainly to get people to watch the event on TV.
 If a tournament is being held, I'd expect that the participating schools,
sponsors, etc. would also use local radio & newspaper spots to help
promote interest in actually attending the games.  Further, it wouldn't
take an advertising genius to take advantage of the current NHL lock-out &
encourage hockey-krishners everywhere to come satisfy their hunger at a
great college hockey tournament.

On sports radio WEEI in Boston, host-extrodinaire Eddie Andleman regularly
promotes & encourages listeners to attend local college sporting events.
Two main reasons cited are: a) the cost (compared to the pros), & b)
because the young men & women playing college sports are playing more for
the love of the game than paychecks, egos, & endorsements.  There are
other reasons to attend college events, of course, but the fact is college
sports can be just as exciting, if not more, than their pro counterparts.

Realistically, most Div I college hockey budgets can't compete with their
fball & bball counterparts, but I think that if they want to make more
(via gate receipts, concessions, etc.), they gotta spend more.  I think it
would pay off.

Anyway, just my $.02...

Dave Hatfield
ULowell'86              Go River Hawks!!