From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 13:10:00 EST
(Ed: from Chuck Cliff ...wts)

I posted "My Rating System" the other day and some questions about them have
been raised. Thanks for the responses.

Here is an explaination of how I arrive at the numbers.

After two teams play a game I compare the difference in their rating number
(adding .61 to the home team for home ice) to the actual difference in score.
I then subtract these two numbers and divide by 8.

EXAMPLE:

TEAM A  12.00  at  TEAM B  15.00

15.00+.61-12.00=3.61  TEAM B should win by 3.61 goals

ACTUAL SCORE TEAM B  5  TEAM A  3

BECAUSE TEAM B SHOULD HAVE WON BY 3.61 GOALS AND ONLY WON BY 2 WE HAVE THE
FOLLOWING

3.61-2.00=1.61     1.61/8=.20

THEN LOWER TEAM B 15.00-.20=14.80
THEN RAISE TEAM A 12.00+.20=12.20

I know it's fairly simple, but I did this by hand and calculator for several
years before I had this machine. If there are anymore questions or comments
please let me know.

Chuck Cliff