From:
"Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 11:48:07 -0400
Robb Dunn stated:

>However, I share Matt's original concern from the perspective of the UAF
>program. If they are hosting CCHA school's over their breaks, then UAF will
>most likely be traveling to the "lower 48" during the school term.  While
>they probably do this now, how many of UAF's current road trips occur over
>breaks?  Also, does UAF currently give 25 round trip airfare tickets to
>visiting teams?  In essence, UAF is paying to travel for almost everyone of
>their games.  It brings up the question of "what extremes are necessary to
>maintain a program?"

The Nanooks have been including airfare for visiting teams ever since the
team went varsity.  And, the Nanooks have been flying Outside for games for
years.  It's what one has to do with a college hockey program located in
the far North.  It might sound "extreme" to cheechakos from the lower 48,
but it's quite routine for Alaskans.  There are high schools in the 49th
state with athletic travel budgets bigger than many colleges -- a necessity
if the nearest neighboring schools are hundreds of miles away.  And more
than one Alaskan school district uses airplanes as school buses.  UAF has
made a commitment to field a competitive college hockey program; it should
be lauded for its efforts, not questioned.

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                        BITNET:            ROTH@CANISIUS
Dean of Student Services                 INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]
Canisius College                            PHONE:           (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14208                       FAX:           (716) 888-2525